Homeless Pet Club Resources
We are dedicated to providing you with the tools you need to get your club started and resources for managing the same. Available downloads include starter packs for educators and businesses/community groups as well as posters, graphics and templates for promoting your sponsored pet.
Potential Guest Speakers
Possible Guest Speakers/Activities for club meetings.
- Victoria Stilwell
Victoria Stilwell is one of the worlds most recognized and respected dog trainers. Seen in over 30 countries, she is best known as the host of the television series, "It's Me or the Dog", where she shares her insight and passion for positive, reward-based dog training.
Stilwell is the co-founder of Dog Trainers of New York, Dog Trainers of New Jersey and, most recently, Dog Trainers of Georgia. She has penned two books, It's Me or the Dog: How to Have the Perfect Pet and Fat Dog Slim: How to Have a Healthy, Happy Pet.
She remains committed to helping the cause of animal rescue and is heavily involved with rescue groups around the world, including Paws Atlanta, Stray from the Heart (New York), Hong Kong Dog Rescue and Greyhound Rescue of West England. She supports the Wisconsin Puppy Mill Project, Jana Kohl, and the Waterside Action Group in their fight against the horrific practice of puppy farming. Stilwell is certified by the Animal Behavior and Training Associates and is a member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers (APDT).
Her dog-related writings have been published in numerous magazines and journals including The New York Times, Dog World, Dogs Today, Psychology Today and The Sun. She has appeared on countless talk and radio shows in the United States, Europe and Asia.
Her Positively Podcast series is available globally, while her popular website, Positively.com, serves as the online home of positive reinforcement dog training and features the world’s leading veterinary behaviorists, dog trainers and behavioral scientists on her Positively Expert Blog.
- Tenasity Dog Trainers Prior to developing Tenasity, Khalvin Kuczynski worked at perfecting the art/skill of training a various array of domestic dogs. In pursuit of any obtainable knowledge for his training skill set, Khalvin was employed at multiple pet retail stores such as; Petsmart, Petland, and Georgia Pets, as well as volunteering at the Atlanta Humane Society as a dog trainer. Please contact Khalvin.firstname.lastname@example.org to make an appointment for him to speak at your Homeless Pet Club meeting. http://www.tenasity.com/
- Debra Berger - Georgia Center for Humane Education. As a certified Humane Education Specialist, Debra can speak on a variety of topics related to Animal Welfare.
Ideally, what we really have to offer to your clubs is a wide selection of Humane Education programs that range from Safety around pets to "Why Animals Matter". See the programs page on our website for more information. www.Human-AnimalBond.org or e-mail: HumaneEd@comcast.net
- Blake " Top Dogg " (You Talk I Bark) - Radio Talk Show Host, covers current local and world dog news, Dog bites, Dog laws, Dog fighting, Heroic dogs, Nutrition, Pet food recalls, training tips and much more; educates and protects the public as well as his four legged friends.
Telephone:678-587-8175, Location:Stone Mountain, Ga. 30087, E-mail:email@example.com, http://www.youtalkibark.com/index.html
- Our Pals Place
Our Pal's Place is an animal advocate organization with a pet adoption facility and education center, located in Marietta, Georgia. Our mission is to provide solutions that improve the future for animals. Contact Cathi Cahn, firstname.lastname@example.org, School Club Education Coordinator.
- Dogs Deserve Better
This organization focus on the inhumane treatment of having a dog and keeping it chained outside ALL THE TIME. It is actually illegal. You may be able to get the area rep, Heidi Pollyea, to come out and speak to the kids about the organization and what they do.
- SEGA - South Eastern Greyhound Adoption
This organization focuses on rescuing retired racing greyhounds. They are really sweet and gentle.
- Heaven Scent Paws
This is an organization that trains diabetes service dogs.
- Ferret Business of Georgia
A ferret rescue group based in Marietta, GA. The founder, Juliet, may come out and speak at a meeting and bring rescued ferrets with her.
- Humane Society of Cobb County
A representative has spoken at club meetings about the importance of spay and neuter and adopting, not buying pets.
- Happy Tails
Happy Tails is a group of pet owners with a common goal - to volunteer time to share the unconditional love and joy pets can give to patients and residents at a variety of facilities. Contact them to possibly speak at a club meeting and they may bring a trained therapy dog.
- Military Working Dog Team Support Association, Inc
MWDTSA is an organization that supports the four legged members of the military and their human handlers. Contact the founder Dixie to come speak at a club meeting and she may be able to arrange a retired military working dog to come too! As a club project, the club members could write letters to the military dogs and their handlers that will be delivered overseas.
- Mostly Mutts
This is a rescue organization in Kennesaw that focuses on getting the word out about the importance of spaying and neutering animals. Paige, the founder, may agree to speak at a club meeting and bring with her one of the official spoke dogs of the organization, Oprah, a 3 legged dog.
- Animals Deserve Better
A local animal rescue group that focuses on establishing a humane education programs, in schools and community organizations, establish a disaster relief facility to provide temporary emergency care and shelter, and to reduce the number of animals being killed in rural and community shelters. Contact them to come speak at a club meeting and they will bring a Saint Bernhard that is a certified therapy dog. This organization also enlists the help of students to produce pet related artwork that is auctioned of in their annual Pawcasso Art event held each fall.
- Donnie Kanter Winokur - Author and Speaker
Empowered by Paws - The Chancer Chronicles L.L.C. educating about service dogs for those who experience developmental disabilities.
- Cobb County Animal Shelter Officer Tom Flynn, Operations Manager, Animal Control Division. Officer Flynn has a great PowerPoint presentation on rescuing animals from natural disasters and many videos on pet related issues. Dr. Amy Bellew, CCAS veterinarian may also be available as her time permits. Please contact Officer Flynn at email@example.com.
- Happy Pets Mobile Grooming One week notice is fine as long as they have someone available. If the club has a pet available for grooming, they will allow the members to take turns viewing the bathing process in the mobile van, and then will groom the pet for all to see. They did a phenominal job walking club members through the grooming process while explaining their techniques. Please click on the following link, befriend HPCs, and check out how Happy Pets helped turn Corky's, a Pomeranian mix, rags into riches: Facebook 770- 424-1600
- Reading Paws....helping kids learn to love READing....4 paws at a time. This organization train reading teams which consist of a volunteer and a canine to go into schools and libraries to work with students to help them develop their reading skills. Contact Melissa Saul at www.readingpaws.org. They prefer a month notice.
- House Rabbit Society (HRS) Have a representative from the House Rabbit Society (HRS) come out and talk about the surprisingly large number of rabbits that are turned in as homeless pets each year. Rabbits are the 3rd most turned- in pets to shelters. The HRS representative will speak to the club and bring rabbits; the kids love it. www.houserabbitga.org/
- Joyce Hagan, CPDT-KA, is the owner of The Dog Tutor, and is a Certified Professional Dog Trainer. She specializes in using Clicker training which is a technique that uses positive reinforcement. Joyce is a member of Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Trainer Association, Association of Pet Dog Trainers and Red Rover-Disaster Relief. Ms. Hagan lives in the Atlanta area and is available upon request, as her schedule permits. She would like a three week notice. You may contact her at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Michael T. Dougherty, founder of Puppy Pipeline Rescue of Georgia, Inc. Mike Dougherty founded Puppy Pipeline in 2006 and has since been specializing in 11th-hour rescues ever since. Heâ€™s transported hundreds of healthy dogs out of Georgia animal shelters to shelters in the Northeast and Upper Midwest, where they are adopted into new homes. These dogs would have otherwise been euthanized for exceeding time limits or simply because there wasn't enough space for them. Each time the Puppy Pipeline van pulls up to Animal Humane Society, itâ€™s a special day for the dozens of dogs and puppies on board who will soon find new homes. Find out more about this puppy pipeline hero and the 6000+ dogs and puppies he and his team have saved. He is available upon request, as his schedule permits. You may reach him at email@example.com.
- Melony Phillips, CPDT-KA, Certified Professional Dog Trainer, Victoria Stilwell Positively Dog Trainer, APDT Member. 770-265-0863, www.Melony.Phillips.positively.com. Delightful Dog Profession Dog Training is licensed under Victoria Stilwell's Positively Dog Trainers program, focuses on training dogs through humane and positive methods. Melony trains using positive-only methods. Melony works with dogs of all ages and understands that any dog of any age can enjoy learning new things. Lead Trainer for Best Friends Pet Care in Marietta.
Logos and Graphics
Sponsor A Pet
Links to Other Great Resources
Dog Bite Prevention Links
- Introduction - (PDF)
- HPC School Club Brochure - (PDF)
- HPC School Permission Form - (DOC)
- HPC Constitution - (DOC)
- HPC Schools Clubs General Slide Show (PPT)
- HCP Club Meeting Announcement (example) (DOC)
- T-Shirt Order Form - ( DOC) (PDF)
- Volunteer Sign-Up Sheet (example) - (PDF)
- Note: Please contact your HPC Rescue/Shelter Partner about completing any volunteer forms or waivers.